A lot of people have told me that they want to keep in touch and hear all about my semester in Spain. However, I cannot email or facebook message or skype everyone all the time, so I'm setting up this blog. I will try to update it daily if not every other day. Now, don't think you cannot still email skype me, I just can't promise the most speedy response. Also, I'm not big on blogging and this is my first one... so just be patient. I will eventually get the hang of it... haha. This will be the best way to keep up with my adventures in Spain.... and the rest of Europe. :)
First things first... I'm going to answer the questions that I get from everyone.
1) When are you going and for how long?
I'm leaving Sunday, January 10, 2010 and I will be returning Saturday, May 15, 2010.
2) Do you know anyone else on the trip?
The program I am a part of is a UMW program so there are about 20 other UMW students doing the same program with me this semester. However, I only know 2 of them, which is fine. It will be fun to meet new Mary Wash people and other students from the US that are studying abroad.
3) Where are you going?
I am going to be in Northern Spain, Basque Country in Bilbao. I will be studying at the Universidad de Deusto which is right in the city and along the river. Below is a map of Spain where I've marked in red where Bilbao is. The first map is a map of Bilbao. The "A", which is circled in red, is where the Universidad de Deusto is and the upper red mark on the map is where I will be living in a suburb called Algorta.


I applied to live with a host family. There were 3 options in the application, a single woman, a family with younger kids, and a family with older kids. I personally wanted a single woman and that I is what I received. This is the information I received about my Host Mom:
Mª Carmen Eguiguren is a lady in her sixties. She lives in Algorta, a nice residential area close to the beach and 35 minutes away from Bilbao by metro. She has a big apartment where you will have your own bedroom and bathroom. Mª Carmen likes music, walking and is said to be a great cook. She is a very active woman and enjoys hosting students. In fact, she has been hosting students for a long time now and they all have been very happy staying at her house.
She sounds great and I'm very excited to be living with her this semester. This is exactly what I was wanting.
I know a lot of you have asked me for my mailing address, but I do not have it yet. I will find out as soon as I get over there and let you all know!
So I think that is all for now... I will post more when I arrive in Spain!

Have Fun Ahley!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
I am way excited for you! good job on the blog :) <3 Christine
ReplyDeleteAshley, I hope you have a wonderful semester. Enjoy and be safe.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Cip
PS-I'll check in on your mom :>)