Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Classes have Begun


University of Deusto
Classes started this past Monday. I am taking classes through the study abroad program so there are only certain classes available and I'm not taking them with any native Spanish students, just with other study abroad students. Last week we had to take a placement test that was 95 questions long and a short answer to determine your level of Spanish. I was very nervous about the results because I needed to be in a certain level to take classes I need for my major. But it all turned out ok, I got into the highest level so I must understand Spanish better than I thought or they graded it really easy.

I'm taking 6 classes, 18 credits, and since there are only certain classes available I didn't have much choice in how my schedule turned out. Therefore, it is all over the place but the nice thing is I don't have class on Friday!

These are the classes I'm taking:
  • Intro to Hispanic Literature- we are going to be learning all about different types of literature, essays, poetry, narratives, theater, but we have to read 3 complete books in Spanish. Its taught by Francisco though who is a really funny professor!
  • Intro to Hispanic Linguistics- this is not going to be my favorite class but it will be interesting. We'll be learning about syntaxis and other things about language... I don't really know, but I'll find out.
  • Cinema and Literature- this is another lit class but a little bit more interesting because we are talking about the influences of literature on film and vice versa. So we will be watching some movies... but also reading 5 complete books!! (That is 8 books in Spanish I have to read this semester) This class is also taught by Francisco so it will be a lot of fun!
  • Academic Spanish- boring... same old, same old grammar, composition, more about the spanish language. I mean its going to be difficult but nothing too fun.
  • Culture, Economy, and Politics in Spanish Contemporary Society- this class is going to be one of my favorites! It is already interesting. We are learning exactly what the title says. I'm just excited to learn about where I'm actually living for 4 months!
  • Europe in the World- this class will also be interesting. I feel like it is more of an economics or international affairs class than a typical Spanish class, but it is taught in Spanish. We'll be learning about the European Union and other political topics of Europe. 
So those are my classes. I think I can make it through them all. I'm going to be doing a lot of studying, though. I guess that is why i'm here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment