The beach which is a bay is gorgeous and located right on the old town part, which is known for its pintxos (little appetizers that everyone eats at the bars before eating dinner). We read in Megan's guide book that the Parte Vieja (Old Part) in San Sebastian has the most bars per square meter than anywhere else in the world. However, by the time it came to start bar hopping we were all exhausted and had to catch the bus. But I was able to try one pintxo which was like a crab dip in a pastry cup and Spain's famous Sangria.
But let me rewind. When we first got to San Sebastian we headed towards the beach and ran into a gorgeous Catedral (Cathedral) half way there.
Once I saw the beach I knew why it is considered one of the best beaches in Europe. I want to come back when its warmer to actually go swimming.
The picture just doesn't do it justice.
The group in San Sebastian
We realized we were all starving so we headed into the old part to find somewhere to eat. Fortunately, stumbled upon this bar that had a plato combinado (combination plate) for 6.20 euros, which included steak, french fries, a stuffed oyster, and a salad! It was plenty of food to get me ready for the long day ahead. We walked around the Plaza de Constitucion, Iglsia Santa Maria, and hiked all the way to the top of Monte Urgull! Monte Urgull is the old ruins of a castle with a giant statue of Jesus Christ and the governor's battery from the 16th century. Actually, I read the oldest parts of it were built in the 12th century! I can never say anything is old in America, again.
Me in the Plaza de Constitucion
Iglesia Santa Maria (this is just the door!)
View from the top of Monte Urgull
San Sebastian, view from the mountain
The hike up to Monte Urgull was very tiring but definitely worth it because it was the most gorgeous view! After we hiked back down we were all exhausted! Our bus didn't leave til 9pm so to pass the time we all read a Carousel by the beach! I felt like such a little kid again! San Sebastian was a great day trip and I definitely want to return when its warmer out.
Photo by: Kate Marsh, unfortunately I didn't take this.
Cat and I on the Carousel, we might be a little big for our horses. ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment